Ginkgo biloba has been around for nearly 300 million years which makes it the oldest living plant species on the earth. That’s a long time! The Chinese first started using ginkgo for medicinal purposes. However, clinical studies focus more on the effectiveness and the uses […]
When many people have a small ailment or even a cold, the first thing they often turn to is over-the-counter medications. And while that is perfectly fine to do, there are actually a lot of side effects that can come with the long-term use of […]
Asthma is a chronic condition that involves your airways found in your lungs. These are the airways that allow air to come into and out of your lungs. With asthma, your airways are always inflamed meaning that they are constantly swollen and your airways can […]
Ginkgo biloba has been around for nearly 300 million years which makes it the oldest living plant species on the earth. That’s a long time! The Chinese first started using ginkgo for medicinal purposes. However, clinical studies focus more on the effectiveness and the uses of ginkgo.
Traditional Chinese Medicine, as well as many clinical studies, suggest that ginkgo provides your body numerous benefits. Ginkgo is known to treat a variety of medical conditions, everything from circulatory problems to depression.
What makes ginkgo so powerful is that it contains flavonoids and terpenoids which both have strong antioxidant properties. These strong antioxidants can benefit your body in amazing ways!
“Flavonoids are plant-based antioxidants. Laboratory and animal studies show that flavonoids protect the nerves, heart muscle, blood vessels, and retina from damage. Terpenoids (such as ginkgolides) improve blood flow by dilating blood vessels and reducing the stickiness of platelets.” (University of Maryland Medical Center)
- Helps Fight Against Depression and Anxiety. Suffering from depression and anxiety are types of stresses that can harm your quality of life, and ultimately lead to death, because stress is a killer. Gingko helps your body to combat against the stressors that are causing your depression and anxiety. It also helps to counteract the effects caused by high levels of stress hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol. Ginkgo helps your body to naturally cope and deal with anxiety and worries.
- Improves Concentration. Gingko has an anti-inflammatory property that works to increase antioxidant activity as well as lowering oxidative stress and at the same time, improving your circulation. Each of these are important for having good cognitive health.
- Maintain Eye Health and Vision. Ginkgo helps improve the blood flow to your eyes. The antioxidant properties found in ginkgo help to fight against free radical damage that can potentially harm your retina, cornea, and macula that could cause age-related macular degeneration.
- Can Help Treat Migraines and Headaches. Headaches can be caused by low blood sugar, hormones, allergies, stress, and fatigue. Gingko can help reduce the pain of both headaches and migraines by increasing blood vessel dilation. It can also help to combat against stress that can trigger the headache or migraine.
- Reduces Asthma Symptoms. Ginkgo includes both an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory property. Both of these properties can help to lower inflammation in your airways that causes asthma symptoms as well as improving the antioxidant activity that can help improve nerve functioning in the airways and lungs.
You can find ginkgo in many health food stores, your local pharmacy and even online. It comes in capsules, tablets, dried leaf, and liquid extract form.
It is recommended, depending on your condition as to why you decide to take ginkgo, to take 40 to 300 milligrams per day.
- For memory problems: 120-240 milligrams per day in divided doses
- For concentration problems or fatigue: 120-240 milligrams per day
- For inflammatory diseases, PMS, headaches, aches or pain: 120-240 milligrams per day